Monday 22 November 2010

St. Cecilia Day.

Today, November 22nd, is St. Cecilia Day, patron saint of musicians.

As a homage to the Patron and all musicians in the world, I´d like to suggest you a work by Henry Purcell "Heil, Bright Cecilia!", also know as "Ode to St. Cecilia" (z. 328, composed in 1692).

I´d like to specially recommend number 11 from the 13 numbers it contains. As you already know my "warrior" ardor, my passion for timpani, and my interest in military music, it is not a coincidence that I´m posting a fragment entitled "The Fife and all the Harmony of War".

The Gabrielli Consort and Players, conducted by Paul McCreesh (please pay attention to the wonderful inflection to minor few bars before the end, and the return to major at the last bar):




The text goes:

"The Fife and all the Harmony of War,
in vain attempt the Passions to alarm,
Which thy commanding Sounds compose and charm".

Happy St. Cecilia Day to all.


…et in Arcadia ego.
© David Valdés

No comments:

Post a Comment